☰  Menu

History of Noss Marina

This 37 acre site on the eastern bank of the River Dart has a history of shipbuilding that dates back to the 1880s when Simpson Stickland and Company Ltd first established a shipyard. The yard was later purchased by Philip and Son Ltd in 1917 and became famous for building Trinity Light vessels and minesweepers and in 1970, Chay Blyth’s British Steel round the world yacht was launched at the yard.  Sadly, the boat building industry declined and the boatyard closed in 1999.

In 2010, a resolution to grant the redevelopment of the site was passed but the legal agreement was never signed and in 2013 Noss Marina went into administration.

The site was acquired in 2016 by Premier Marinas with a view to creating a market-leading marina with associated facilities and development.

Today, in spite of the fact that it is currently home to an active marina with 154 serviced pontoon berths, 23 river moorings and a limited boatyard, most of the buildings are derelict and not fit for use.